Assessment of Foreign Qualifications
- How to gain an assessment of foreign qualifications and who can apply for approval of graduation from the university.
For the approval of graduation from the university can apply:
- a foreigner, who gained refugee status or subsidiary protection
- a foreigner, who has a temporary residence permit according to circumstances mentioned in article 159, section 1, item 1, letters c or d of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners
Providing that a foreigner does not hold any degree certificate. People who hold a degree certificate may apply for its approval according to generally effective regulations. Legal foundation: article 327, section 3 of the Act of 20 July 2018 The Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 85 [Dz. U. z 2020r., poz. 85])
2. Required documents
A person who applies for the approval of a degree certificate must submit an application with documents that attest:
- Passed courses and received grades
- Passed exams
- Obtained educational background or occupational powers
- Completed internship or employment
- Obtainment of the refugee status or subsidiary protection, or temporary residence permit obtained according to circumstances mentioned in article 159, section 1, letters c or d of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners (Journal of Laws of 2020, items 2206 and 2208 from 2018, items 107, 138, 771, 1669 [U. z 2017r., poz. 2206 i 2208 oraz z 2018r. Poz. 107, 138, 771, 1669])
- Graduation which is considered to be approved
- Place and date of birth
After the official evaluation of the application, the university dean may request the applicant to submit the Polish translation of the document.
In justified cases, the university dean may request the applicant to submit the Polish translation of the documents that can validate the academic record, received grades, duration of the study which is prepared and notarized by a certified translator or prepared by a foreign translator and notarized by a competent consul of the Republic of Poland.
Committee on Recognition cannot demand the applicant to submit documents other than those listed above.
3. The place for submission of papers
Completed application with required copies of documents (original papers for inspection) can be submitted on working days from 10 a.m to 1 p.m. in Educational Department (headquarters of the university) Plac Uniwersytecki 1, room 238, 2nd floor.
4. How the proceedings in approval of graduation progress
The university evaluates the documents attached to the application regarding the approval of graduation. On the basis of these documents, faculty compares the curriculum, obtained results of education and occupational powers, completed an internship and the duration of study in comparison to curriculum, obtained results of education and occupational powers, completed an internship and sometimes the duration of similar studies conducted at the same university. In the event of noticeable differences in the curriculum, results of education or duration of the study, the approving university may oblige the applicant to pass certain exams or do an internship. The university determines terms and conditions when the exams and internship can be conducted.
The university delivers the applicant in the paper form the information concerning mentioned differences (together with clarification) as well as applied compensation (to pass the exams, to do an internship).
The day when the application regarding the approval of graduation was delivered to the approving university is the date when the initiation of the proceedings begins. The faculty evaluates the application. In case of any formal shortcomings in the application, the university may indicate the applicant a due date, not shorter than 14 days, to fill the documents under the pain of forfeiture of the application.
The proposer may submit an application on a date chosen by themselves.
The university confirms or rejects the approval of the degree certificate within 90 days from the day of the delivery of the application. The due date mentioned above does not include the period of time scheduled for the document translations, exams and conducted internship.
Payment is required. The maximum charge amounts to 50% of the professor’s salary. The university determines terms and conditions to exempt from fees. The payment is not conducted for the refusal of the whole process.
The payment for the conducted process regarding the approval of graduation should be made on a bank account or in the approving university’s counter within a due date determined by the university but not shorter than 14 days.
7. The refusal to take proceeding regarding the approval of graduation
In the event of a lack of necessary features to conduct the process, the university can issue the refusal to its realisation. The proposer has the right to submit a complaint.
8. Final resolutions and issued declarations
After the completed process the university issues the certification. The certification confirms, that the proposer graduated first/second-cycle studies or long-cycle studies conducted in a Polish university.
The proposer may appeal from the decision regarding the approval of graduation on the basis of article 127 of the Code of Administrative Proceedings and in accordance with Revised Recommendation on Criteria and Procedures for the Assessment of Foreign Qualifications adopted in 2001 and changed in 2010.
Translated by Kinga Warężak (student of English Studies at the University of Wrocław) as part of the translation practice.