Scientific Excellence Incubators -important Q&A!
We've received a plethora of questions regarding the Scientific Excellence Incubators (Inkubatory Doskonałości Naukowej, IDN). No wonder, as potentially it's a lot of money for researchers who have troubles with qualifying for external grants. Our phone and e-mail in the office of the Research University has turned red hot from the amount of questions. As many of them are repeated - we collected them and grouped them - there is a good chance that your doubts will be dispelled by the following Q&A set:
1. Who can be an Applicant in the IDN competition?
Both a scientist from the University of Wrocław and from outside the University of Wrocław – from Poland or abroad, with significant scientific achievements.
2. Who cannot be an Applicant in the IDN competition?
The applicant cannot be the POB leader (Priority Research Area) indicated in the IDUB application. In each POB, 5 outstanding experienced researchers and 5 young scientists (7 years after their doctorate) had to be indicated. However, the POB leader may cooperate with the Incubator, e.g. as a member.
3. What is the form of employment of the Applicant at IDN?
University of Wrocław employees working within IDN will be transferred to research positions for the duration of the project. Their teaching duties in the units will be taken over by persons employed as substitutes.
Scientists from outside the University of Wrocław will be employed through a competition for an employment contract for research positions.
Employment of the supervisor and members of the Incubator team who are from outside the University of Wrocław must be carried out by competition due to statutory requirements. The terms of the competition for the IDN supervisor will include the necessity to win the competition for the IDN project.
The employment of the IDN supervisor, who is an employee of the University of Wrocław, takes place by transferring him to a research position. He does not change the current position, but only covers the functions of the Incubator supervisor.
4. Can the supervisor or other members from outside the University of Wrocław be employed part-time?
Only full-time employment is accepted. In the case of an IDN supervisor who is not an University of Wrocław employee, double employment is possible.
5. How many people does the Incubator consist of?
IDN assumes the employment of a supervisor and a maximum of 3 people (they can be people from the University of Wrocław or from outside the University of Wrocław), including 2 young scientists with a doctoral degree obtained no later than 7 years ago. This period does not include sickness, maternity, paternity, etc.
Persons designated as members of the Incubator and employees of the University of Wrocław
are listed in point C1.
Persons intended for employment who are from outside the University of Wrocław are shown in point C2. (in the case of employing three people from outside the University of Wrocław, the third line should be taken into account in point C2.)
6. The definition of a ‘young scientist’ in the Incubator
A ‘young scientist’ is a person who conducts scientific activity, who holds a doctoral degree, which has been obtained within 7 years. This period does not include sickness, maternity, paternity, etc.
7. Should the total amount of 800,000 zł per year be used in designing the cost estimate? Should 800,000 zł also be planned for 2021?
When designing the cost estimate for individual years, including for 2021, the amount of 800,000 zł per year should be taken into account. According to the opinion of the Chief Accountant of the University of Wrocław, the above amount does not have to be used in a given year, the funds are transferred to the next calendar year. The amount should be planned for the years 2021-2025, in total 4,000,000 zł (5 x 800,000 zł).
8. Is the requested amount for the Incubator charged with indirect costs?
No, the Incubator has the entire amount allocated.
9. Can a person employed at IDN be an employee of a foreign university who carries out a project also under another grant and is employed under another project? Will such a person be obliged to resign from that project?
In the case of an IDN supervisor who is not a University of Wrocław employee, double employment is possible.
A team member is obliged to work only at the University of Wrocław.
10. Can you be a member of two incubators?
You cannot be a member of two incubators.
11. Is there a requirement for current employees of the University of Wrocław for a stage of scientific career (as in the case of people from outside the University of Wrocław who must be ‘young scientists’)? Can I operate without restrictions here?
IDN assumes the employment of a supervisor and a maximum of 3 people (they can be people from the University of Wrocław or from outside the University of Wrocław), including 2 young scientists with a doctoral degree obtained no later than 7 years ago. This period does not include sickness, maternity, paternity, etc., which means that there are no other restrictions, apart from young scientists.
12. Can doctoral students be part of the planned team?
Students of Doctoral Schools cannot be employed full-time, but they can carry out doctoral projects under the Doctoral School under the supervision of IDN employees.
13. Will the Doctoral School admit PhD students recruited to the Incubator? Currently, the project manager cannot recruit people who have not been admitted to the Doctoral School, even beyond the admission limit of a particular college, for doctorates.
We only recruit PhD students to the Doctoral School, not to the Incubator.
14. What is the actual connection of the incubator with POBs? In the application, should we emphasize the lack of this relationship or rather emphasize that the effects of the incubator will ultimately fit into the POB?
Incubators are created outside POBs and relate to areas of science that require special support.
15. Incubator cost estimate
Expenditure should be planned for the years 2021-2025. In the last year of the Incubator, funds not used until December 31st remain in the IDUB funds pool.
The cost-estimate items should be qualified in accordance with the directive that the costs incurred should be purposeful and economical, and implemented in accordance with the principle of obtaining the best results from given inputs. They should be presented at the level of detail corresponding to the projects funded by the NCN (Polish National Science Centre).
16. Rates of remuneration
The rates of remuneration will correspond to the level of funding proposed by the NCN.
up to 190,000 zł per year – supervisor of the Incubator,
up to 120,000 zł per year – member of the Incubator,
The rates must take into account the employee’s gross salary as well as derivatives and the so-called ’13’ (additional annual salary for budgetary employees).
In the case of employees from the University of Wrocław who will be transferred to the Incubator, the source of remuneration payment will change.
17. What positions should the newly hired young scientists with doctorate be on (assistant professor?).
A young scientist should be employed in a group of research workers as an assistant professor.
18. In case of a promotion, does additional money have to be secured for remuneration for the person promoted, if said scientific promotion happened during the IDUB (eg promotion from PhD to PhD in 2022)?
Remuneration in the Incubator must meet the minimum wage requirements resulting from the remuneration regulations of the University of Wrocław. The remuneration is included in the Incubator’s budget.