Established in 1992, it presents the history of the University in Wrocław – from 1702 to present times. It consists of several premises: Aula Leopoldina, Oratorium Marianum, Mathematical Tower, and exhibition rooms. The Museum collects and presents objects connected to the University’s history: furniture, historical equipment, scientific tools, and archives about the University and people associated with it. Among the most interesting objects we can find rector’s sceptres from 1702 and sceptres of the philosophical and theological faculty, and rector’s robes from the second half of the 19th century. Special attention should be given to a collection of astronomical tools, among others, an astrolabe from the 14th century, a sky globe from 1699, an equatorial sundial from the 18th century, and Galileo’s sector from 1665.
It has existed under its present name since 1972, when the Zoological Museum established in 1814 merged with the Herbarium Collection founded in 1821. Its herbarium collection is one of the largest in Europe, and botanical and zoological specimens are ranked second in Poland in scientific value and number. The Natural History Museum has, among others, one of the largest global collections of ichneumons, corals, polychaetes, the most extensive collection of slugs in the world and the largest collection of vertebrate skeletons in Poland.
The beginnings of the Museum date back to the interwar period, when the collection was compiled by the Anthropological Institute of the Medical Faculty. The Museum provides three exhibition rooms for visitors. In the ontogenesis room one can learn about the lifetime development of the human skull and skeleton, and bone changes caused by diseases and injuries. In the burial room one can find, among others, examples of natural mummification processes. The last room is devoted to the origin and evolution of humans – one can see here Australopithecus and Homo habilis skull casts.
Presents rich collections of rocks and fossilised plant and animal remains. The collection includes over 20 000 specimens of substantial scientific and educational value from all over the world.
It is the largest and oldest museum of this type in Poland, founded in 1812 as the Mineralogical Cabinet. It has a collection of approximately 30 000 specimens, one of the largest in Poland. It specialises mainly in minerals occurring in Poland, especially in Lower Silesia. The collection is divided into four departments: minerals of the world, minerals of Poland, precious and decorative stones, and meteorites.
HOUSE OF ARCHAEOLOGISTS (branch of the Museum of the University of Wrocław)
The House of Archaeologists was established in 2005 as one of the branches of the Museum of the University of Wrocław. It is located in the building no. 28 of the Institute of the Archaeology on campus at Koszarowa 3 street in Wrocław. It was founded to provide for educational needs and care for archaeological artefacts found during excavations carried out by the Institute of Archaeology. The objects organised and recorded in the Museum are later – as archaeological collections – used as teaching tools during courses in museum studies for archaeology students. From the very beginning the Museum serves exhibition purposes and popularises science. Themed temporary exhibitions are usually organised in the margins of special events coordinated by the Institute, such as scientific conferences.
The Botanical Garden of the University of Wrocław, called an oasis of beauty and peace in the heart of the great city, is a „living museum” and scientific and teaching centre, as well as a favourite recreational space for Wrocław residents. It is located on the north side of the Cathedral of St John the Baptist and the Church of St Cross, partially within the boundaries of the historical Ostrów Tumski district, 2 kilometres from the Main Square. It is the second oldest garden of this kind in Poland (after Kraków), listed among the Lower Silesian monuments and situated within the historical centre of Wrocław under special protection.
ARBORETUM IN WOJSŁAWICE (branch of the Botanical Garden)
Wojsławice are located 50 kilometres south of Wrocław and 2 kilometres west of the historical town of Niemcza, within the protected landscape of Strzelin-Niemcza Hills. In the bottom of the deepest canyon, 150-200 metres above sea level, the River Ślęza flows from south to north, fed by numerous streams. The Arboretum in Wojsławice is situated by one of its right-bank tributaries, in a picturesque basin, on the northern slopes of Dębowe Hills 213-320 metres above sea level. Its beginnings date back to the 18th century. In 1977 the Arboreta and Botanical Gardens Commission of Poland gave the park in Wojsławice a status of arboretum, and in 1983 the entire area (nearly 5 hectares) was listed as a cultural monument. Since 1988 the Arboretum in Wojsławice is a branch of the Botanical Garden of the University of Wrocław.